Thursday 18 July 2013

Been fooling around with making mobile 2d games. Got a few fun games that I'm creating content for, probably publish them when I feel there is enough shit in them to sell.

Other than that I've been thinking about next semester and what game I'm ganna make. At first my thoughts were on "GTA in space" but after a few weeks of brainstorming and concepting and making models, I realised that perhaps an open world game has a little too much content to be made in 6months...

So I started brainstorming a new idea and I've thought of doing a creepy/spooky archaeology game like tomb raider or uncharted... but in the future where archaeologists search for wrecks of old space crafts... I'm thinking that the ships could look like decomposing carcases with light piercing the holes in the ships hulls wick would be not unlike the rib cage of a carcus...

So I was concepting for this new idea. Its ideal for 6 months as its more linear in nature, but within it I could get the underlying functions I need for the open world game, such as upgrades and hover car handling.

I came across an interview with Guerrilla games about Zbrush and checked it out. These guys are probably one of the 5 or so devs that pioneer the future in terms of game engines... But anyways, I digress. I was interested by the fact that they've been using Zbrush for the characters, guns and... whole levels... Apparently they sculpt the level in Zbrush (minus props) and then export the mesh, normal map, bump map, diffuse map, spec map and height map (for tessellating them pebbles)... Apparently not only does this approach mean faster level design from consepting through to final level and tweaking, but It also lets the artist get the exact environment he wants in real time due to being able to sculpt every detail...

Of course these guys are amazing and they have much better tools, skills, resources (being the PC's an the poly/texture budget that comes with PS4, Umbra 3, LOD's and streaming) and engines than I have. but I figured I'd fool around with making my asteroids with that approach.

No comments:

Post a Comment