Wednesday 10 December 2014

Progress Report

Happy holidays everyone. Hope everything is going well.

I've been working on some really cool stuff of late and I'm ready to talk about that stuff and hopefully show it off soon.

So first off, lets talk about On Call. I've been adding / tweaking a lot of things that I'd like to discuss.


  • I've added explosions to when enemy space ships explode. These are a big deal in a lot of ways. They are not only cool looking and sounding so the player gets feedback on a kill, but they also have a lot of physics code beneath the hood, so if you blow up a nearby ship, it will cause your ship to shake and even be blown away with a powerful shock wave of force from the explosion. I still need to optimize this for the Vita, but its coming along well.
  • I'm fixing a particular bug in the space arcade mode where the player continuously takes damage and seemingly dies out of nowhere. Once this is fixed, I will also tweak the damage the player receives on impact with objects in space.
  • I'm playing with some visual damage to the players ship. So far results are good and its probably going to end up in the game. Its still weird sometimes, but I will work out kinks.
  • I've also made a lot of improvements to the ship. It can now have a permanent boost so the player can always escape from the AI. I came to the conclusion that its just not as much fun if the player has limited escape options. I'm also adding in a slow down ability that the AI will not be able to match, allowing the player to slow down and have the AI fly past them, once again opening up space combat vastly.
  • I've made a lot of progress with the character model for the enemy AI. The model is nearly fully modeled and then I will texture, rig and animate it. From there we will be able to put them into levels, both new and old.
  • Lastly, I've been doing a lot of color tweaking for the game. I've received a lot of complaints that its too dark. So, where the levels are not designed around that darkness I will lighten them up. But the levels where the darkness is part of the gameplay will stay dark.

Secondly, I've got a new game that's coming along really really well. I cant wait to show it off soon.

As always, hope you guys have a great time. I hope to upload another patch before Christmas with as much new stuff as possible, but probably not new levels.

No comments:

Post a Comment