Tuesday 17 June 2014

Update

Right.

I wont lie. Its been a long while since I wrote an update. So here goes.

Firstly, Ive been hard at work this semester at Uni, so Ive had far less time to devote to projects. I have however been practicing in several key areas that Ive felt I need to improve on.

Firstly, terrain sculpting, painting and creation. Ive been sculpting out terrain in programs like Mudbox and Sculprits and painting them as well as optimizing them for games. Its a skill that I feel is extremely important.

Secondly, Optimization. Ive coded several scripts to help optimization with Lods and such. For example, the performance in inStasis has more than doubled, with my pc running the game Maxed out at 1080p45fps, where as it was running at High 720p30fps. These optimizations help me when it comes to making games for android, ios and vita. Ive applied for a Vita license, we will see how that turns out. And Ive made a simple 'runner' to put up on the app-store some day to see if the income is viable as a student making small games.

Thirdly, As none of my classes at Uni have anything to do with game dev (We do maths and Programming, which does help a lot, but no animation, modeling or game scripting of any kind) so I no longer have access to Unity Pro, 3dsMax, Maya and Mudbox. This is fine, be it some what of a hurdle. Ive expanded into programs like Blender, sculprits, gimp and Unity Free and My workflow is practically unchanged. So I benefit from learning more programs, which is a bonus.

I will continue to work quietly in my spare time and will upload screens of anything interesting that I make, or indeed playable demos of my work when they are ready.

For now I will be focusing on Uni, filling my portfolio with practice and demos as well as publishing smaller games on ios, android and wherever else I can. I hope this goes well.

No comments:

Post a Comment