Monday 8 September 2014

On Call Patch Performance

I've found some unexpected optimizations that needed to happen due to game crashing bugs.

This is a good thing though as performance is greatly boosted, especially when using the flashlight. The game now runs almost constantly at 60fps, but still has drops when using the flashlight and some stuttering in some areas that I cant quite pin down the cause for.

I'm obviously always trying to squeeze out more frames per second and flatten out stuttering, so this is a massively good find! I guarantee that you'll be able to feel the difference between version 1.01 and 1.02 when using the flashlight. Or you wont... Its hard for me to know if you will even feel it. I do, but On Call is practically all I've been playing lately and I have a frame rate counter for debug, so you know, there's that. I'm not sure of the exact performance gain, but its between 5-10fps.

I'm also quite happy with the 2D arcade level I'm adding in. Unfortunately I could not upload the patch to Sony yesterday as I found game crashing bugs that I fixed. I'll hopefully have it done for upload by tomorrow, thus still being on time for Sony's deadline.

Tomorrow, after the patch is uploaded, I also plan on continuing with my AI code so that I can add in the soldiers and stuff. That's what I've been looking towards adding in. I cant wait, its the biggest addition to On Call as it creates new level and story possibilities.

2 comments:

  1. How's the patch coming along? Has it been deployed or is it still in certification?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've updated the blog with a rather long winded answer, and I hope it answers your question ;)

      Delete